Thursday, January 5, 2012

2011: The year of the great purge

I was texting with my sister the other day, and she came to the conclusion that 2011 was the year of purge for Chad and I.  

Before the flood I had gone through EVERY box but one when we moved into the house.  I had huge piles of garage sale items.  I was bound and determined to get these items OUT OF THE HOUSE!  Well, evacuation one came, and those items were left.  It didn't flood, so we were allowed to move back in...perfect!  I held a garage sale in June and made some nice cash. The items that didn't sell DID NOT come back into the house.  They were nicely boxed up and a truck from the Dakota Boys store here in town came and picked up what didn't sell.  I was able to buy the screen door I wanted and had Chad and his buddy install it.  During the installation the news came on and said be prepared for a 2nd evacuation...really, the boys just spent all day (yes, darn near all day) installing my amazing, brand new purchase. Crap. 

Anyhow, we obviously evacuated again and left only things were knew we couldn't get out in time.  We even were polite and took the fridge and other hazardous materials to the dump ourselves.  We didn't want to tbe one of the people to allow these things to float around and contaminate the neighborhood more.  So, we have now just purged TWICE!  

Now that we are back in the house with all of our belongings (which wait until I can post that picture...we can't really put anything downstairs yet because we are waiting to get that finished..what a cluster....)  I am going through things AGAIN.  Obviously if we didn't miss it the last 6 months or we didn't need it the last 6 months and I KNOW I won't be using it in the near future, it's getting donated.  I already went through my clothes and a few totes and have 2 1/2 totes full to donate.  Chad has to go through his clothes still and once the cabinets are fully installed we will be putting the majority of the kitchen away, so I will be able to go through those items as well.  

That's a total so far of 3 purges in the year of 2011.  Let's just say, I'm getting good at getting rid of things that we don't need or use.  I guess we won't have to worry too much about being a saver like ONE of my favorite Aunts =) 

Our house will be nice and decluttered when we are able to put it all back together.

On the project list for this weekend.....I'm building our new entertainment center! pictures to follow!!  And we are going to be putting together the first piece of our closet organizer and Chad's uncle Jamie is going to be up Friday night to help finish the kitchen cabinets! So The kitchen will get put away this weekend too!! WOOP WOOP!!!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE getting rid of stuff..whether it be donating or throwing. It feels SO good sometimes!!

    Can't wait to see your entertainment center and kitchen results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cleaning things out clears your head and your heart. <3 you guys are so awesome to keep moving forward when it gets really hard. You could be a reality show, minus big hair and fist pumping :) have a wonderful day *sabrina

    ReplyDelete