Friday, September 18, 2009

oh fifth grade...

Well I had the pleasure (if you will) to work with 5th graders for the first time this week.  For my block 2 practicum I am with 5th graders at a school about 5 blocks from our apartment.

I'm not sure how well I like the 5th grade.  Maybe it is because they are getting ready for the big MAP testing this next week or maybe it's because I didn't get to teach a whole lot compared to my last practicum.  I'm not really sure.

I have a tough class to work with this semester.  The first words out of my practicum teachers mouth on Tuesday morning were something to the tune of "This is my toughest class in all the years I have been teaching, I just don't know what to do," and this was on the first day of me being there.  They are pretty far behind in reading, math, etc.  There are some health reasons, but really the class is just REALLY young for their age.

My first day there we were going on a field trip thought to Knife River Indian Village (click on the name for more information).  The field trip in itself was a great experience to get to be on.  I have always wondered how that would work and now I know.  We had to make accommodations on the fly for some students due to health reasons, but it was a great day.  I have never been there, so that was great to get to see.  It was about an hour or so bus (big yellow bus mind you) ride up.  I sat with the teachers on the way up and on the way back I was able to sit with some of the students and got to know them a little bit better.  One of the students and I had some great conversations that really blew me out of the water.  This little fellow knew so much about cars and trucks it was crazy!!!

The second day (Wednesday) that I was there I was able to give the spelling test (and then did not collect the papers as I thought they turned them into a basket or folder, but apparently not!).  I also worked with a student during the math lesson...and that was pretty much my day.  The power was out for about 2 hours and my teacher was in meetings for about an hour and a half  so we had an aide in the room with me.

It was an interesting two days of observation.  I go back again Monday through Friday next week.  They are taking their MAP tests next week and I am going to be able to for sure teach four lessons (Reading, Math, Science, and Social Studies).  So I am very excited for that.  I am still unsure if I like the intermediate grades.  3rd (which is primary) was great, but I really don't think I'm too sure on this 5th grade business.  Hopefully as the year progresses my mind will change and I will enjoy the topics they are learning.

I'm staying open minded.......




No comments:

Post a Comment