Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The past year

For as long as I can remember I have always had a birthmark on my right hip (lets say, where a love handle would be).  I noticed it had changed color/shape a bit and had some lumps in it now, so figured I'd better go in and get it checked out.


As you can see, on the lower part its not exactly circular and there is a darker spot near the top. What you cannot see are the little lumps that formed.

So, I go in and the Dr tells me that we should really remove it. I can either have it shaved off or surgically removed. We (the Dr and I) discussed the options and decided for right now shaving would be the best.  So, I was immediately taken to another room and prepped for the shave off.  I didn't feel a thing, it was a GREAT procedure!!!  He told me that I would have a scar there and all that other stuff, but I should hear back within a week with the results from the lab about the state of my mole.


Miraculously enough my side is allergic to just about every adhesive tape/bandage known to man kind, even the ones that you get from the hospital. YAY for allergic reactions....

So, a week passes and I receive my results stating that I the cells within the biopsy are moderately atypical and that if it grows back then I need to schedule an appointment ASAP.

SOO about a year later, when I felt it was healed up the most, I made another appointment because the darn thing came back and was in an even more crazy (scary) shape.


The Dr I saw before took one look and referred me to the dermatologist here in Bismarck. I was in to see him about 3 days later. He was a bit nervous about the look of the mole that grew back and wanted to remove it surgically ASAP. Well, it just happens that I'm student teaching and cannot take time off from that, so I scheduled for a Monday we didn't have school, which was also my last week of student teaching. I was not going to be able to wear anything tight against it as it would irritate it so wearing dress pants was not going to be comfortable.

Chad took the morning off to come with me (thankfully). The procedure took about an hour. I was awake for the whole thing, but didn't feel a thing! I watched for a little bit and chatted with the nurse and Dr. They removed about 1.5 inches deep, it's about 2-2.5 inches long and the widest part (it was shaped like a football) was about 2 inches. So, needless to say, he explained it to me as he would be cutting off a love handle if I had one. Officially I will never cut chicken with scissors again because that is what it sounded like (I told the nurse she had to talk to me because the noise was so volatile!) I've never had stitches before, so that was a really cool feeling....until the numbing stuff wore off, I dislike stitches very much now!


The teacher I had been working with explained to the kids that I had stitches and etc, so they were really excited and wanted to see them. I had to keep it covered the whole time the stitches were in so I took a picture for them on Wednesday (surgery was Monday) and printed it to show them. They were all really excited and thought it was way cool =)

This was right after my stitches came out (ten days later).


And this was today



My labs came back and it was still moderately atypical, so abnormal, but it still isn't good...but it's not bad!

So, I've learned that tanning is not my friend (FINALLY! everyone kept telling me, but I guess it takes a scare to really listen, unfortunately) I am no longer able to tan in a tanning bed (if I do I think Chad will disown me haha), I must always wear sunscreen (no ifs ands or buts!), and I have to faithfully go in to get my skin checked every year (No excuses)!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment